! ! ! !
Are you a passionate problem solver...raring to go and do more in Coding & Technology??
Find your calling at Thinking Feet's Competitive Programming Course.
Learn multiple algorithms and problem solving strategies on JAVA geared towards the Bronze Level of USA Computing Olympiad (USACO).
The Learning Journey
We will be using a JAVA based approach to prepare for the USA Computing Olympiad (www.usaco.org). USACO has 4 levels: Everyone starts in Bronze, then based on their performance, they get promoted to Silver, Gold, Platinum. Platinum students then compete to be selected for the International Olympiad on Informatics.
We have been coaching a very small group for the past year and we recently had students pass from Bronze into Silver. We have developed a structured curriculum and progression plan into Silver. Please visit www.usaco.org to look at Bronze level problems. These problems are quite intriguing and not only require a solid command on algorithms but are also very fertile grounds to develop sharp problem solving skills.
In addition to competing in USACO, students will be able to participate in Coding Competitions as part of High School clubs, and may other Coding competitions hosted by multiple universities.
- Our coaches have deep experience in Computer Science and specifically on USACO problems and strategies.
- The course will be taught by Mr. Dalton (experienced Computer Science professional who currently teaches High School Math and Advanced Coding) and Mr. Dutt (developed the Competitive Programming Curriculum).
16 - 20 weeks
JAVA Fundamentals and Algorithms
- Simple and advanced Data Types and associated constraints.
- Integer, Char, String, Maps, Arrays, ArrayLists.
- String manipulation.
- Recursive functions.
- Sorting and Searching algorithms.
- Basic Data Structures: Array, ArrayList, Class, Trees, HashMaps.
USACO Bronze Simpler Problems & Strategies
6 - 8 weeks
- Iterative Problem Solving Strategies
- Problems involving sorting, searching, swaps
Advanced Bronze Problems
4 - 6 weeks
- Problems requiring more efficient solution strategies
Class duration: 90 mins a week
- Prior programming experience not required but preferred.
- Grades 9 and above. Exceptional students with significant coding experience in Grades 8 will be considered.
- This program is heavy on algorithmic problem solving, and there will be very challenging problems we will solve. A strong degree of persistence and ability to work in a less structured environment is preferred.
$200 per 4 weeks
Sign up below for a Free Interest Meeting / Info Session on Wed Oct 12th at 12PM.
Thinking Feet’s main learning center is located in the Ballantyne area in Mecklenburg county. We are just minutes away from nearby Blakeney, Weddington, Marvin, Waxhaw, Pineville, Wesley Chapel, Piper Glen and Fort Mill, SC.