GEAR UP YOUR CHILD FOR A COMPUTER SCIENCE UNDERGRAD BEFORE THEY SET FOOT IN TO A COLLEGE
Imagine the significant advantage they will have over peers having advanced through undergrad computer science courses years before they go to college !!! Only at Thinking Feet
This unique program will mirror the content covered in the first two years of Computer Science Undergrad, while maintaining an appropriate pace of instruction that will be manageable by students in middle and high school.
Starting with the content of AP Computer Science (High School), the curriculum will then take students into depths of algorithms, data structures and more, transforming them into early computer scientists.
Coding is just a small part of Computer Science and this program will take students deep into areas of computer science and engineering like algorithm analysis, memory optimization etc.
We are being advised on content by Computer Science professors from some of the top universities in the country
Who will benefit
Ideal for students who have taken or will be taking AP Computer Science in High School and also have a high likelihood of pursuing an undergrad in Computer Science or related field.
This course will excite students who are ready to take the leap into the depths of computer science. They will learn software development strategies and techniques to make computer programs run more efficiently. If your child has a high degree of persistence, self motivation and a hunger to learn advanced technology, they will thrive in this program.
60 minute class, once a week with weekly homework assignments.
Computer Science with Java
Pre-requisite: 24 months of prior programming experience OR Grades 8+
Min Grade: 7th
- Starting with the basics of object oriented programming, students will build the fundamentals of JAVA.
- Our classes involve a lot of discussion where we encourage students to approach problems from multiple angles.
- Students will gradually progress and learn more about Object Oriented Programming concepts including Data Structures and Algorithms (which are usually taught in undergrad).
- Content will also include exposure to problems from US Computer Science Olympiads.
- The pacing of the course assumes no prior experience with JAVA but expects students to have significant coding experience to keep pace with the curriculum.
- Content covered includes topics taught in undergrad Computer Science so students will be well prepared for AP Computer Science in high school.
- Appropriate for students who are ready to go beyond coding into the depths of Computer Science.
Thinking Feet’s main learning center is located in the Ballantyne/Mckee Road area in Mecklenburg county. We are just minutes away from nearby Blakeney, Weddington, Marvin, Waxhaw, Pineville, Wesley Chapel, Piper Glen and Fort Mill, SC.